Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The Story Behind "Papa's House, Mama's House"


Some weeks after my husband and I separated, my then five-year-old son, Paolo, after a trip to the neighborhood sari-sari store, asked me, “Mama, what is a broken home?”

Apparently, the neighbors, after learning of the changes in our household, asked my guileless son how he felt now that he was a child of a broken home. How adults can be so irresponsibly cruel!


It was hard to come up with a quick answer: “Hmm… I think it’s a house with broken windows. Do you see any broken windows in our house?” And he said, “Nope.” I asked further, “Do you feel broken?” He thought a while longer, then said, “Nope.” So I concluded, “Then the neighbors are wrong.”

Read more of the story here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!

We've read your book during our SP126: Human Development class here in UP Manila and I must say that I love the way in which your book was written.

It sends out a positive message to those who come from broken homes.

I think you did a great job. :D

BTW, I'm also from Bacolod. :P

Jeanette Patindol said...

I am honored, Ann.

Thank you for taking time to let me know, my "kasimanwa"! : )